Friday, June 22, 2007

What has little league baseball come to

Like the Aerosmith song "Living on the Edge" something is wrong with the world today. But I might know what it is. 10 year old baseball. (See Below)


A few nights ago I was working at the baseball field. During my 15 minute break I decided to watch one of the games. This game I was watching was a 10 year old “All-Star” game. (I’m not sure if they are still called All-Stars.) Anyway, I was watching in the top of the 6th and the batting team was down by 3 or 4 and had 2 base runners on base and no outs. Then the pitching team (in a strategic baseball move) put their “CLOSER” in. A 10 year old team with a closer. Wow. Back when I was 10 the two coach’s sons each pitched three innings in the 6 inning games. (On a few occasions someone else got to pitch.) Oh but wait, then I saw the pitching teams coach give the same signals I thought I saw Lou Pinnela give a few nights ago. He touched his sleeves, his face about 4 times, and his shoe. After all of these events had taken place the batting teams coach told all of his players to watch for the curve because the “closer” had throw about 15 in a row during warm-ups (The batting team also had 6 coaches on the field. Yes, I said 6.) The kids came up and the closer threw about 15 curveballs in a row and struck out all three hitters. This “closer” will probably throw out his arm by the age of 12, or have Tommy John surgery at the age of 15. I hope little league baseball doesn’t come down to hit and runs, double steals, and sac bunts to win games. Instead Digital Love would like 10 year old baseball to be like it used to be when the kids cared about the snow cones after the game or whether he turned that double play in inning three.

I hope you enjoyed your 2 minutes on Digital Love, feel free to comment or to visit us again.

No comments: